We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Believe In Angels

My daughter participated in a Pioneer Trek this week.
A re-enactment of early settlers who traveled from the East to the West looking for a better life.
Kids from our church, ranging in age from 14-18, spent three days pulling 200 pound handcarts and walking 15 miles, sleeping under the stars and physically being pushed to their limits.


I was asked to participate on the last day acting as an angel.
My job was to help the kids on the final leg of their journey, up a steep mountain pass, when they were at their very limits physically and emotionally.

I was prepared to work hard through that Saturday.
I wasn't prepared for my life to change forever.

When I arrived at the meeting spot, I quickly recognized how many of us were there to help. With instructions to dress in all white, we were pretty conspicuous in the mountains.

We got to the location where we would meet the kids.
We were given a quick briefing on what the kids had experienced the previous few days.
We heard how they were feeling when their day got started earlier that morning.
And we were told how they would be feeling when they got to our part of the hill.

And than we were given our instructions.
First, we were to help the kids push their heavy carts up the hill, get them to a certain point and leave them to continue on. At this point we headed back down the hill to meet the next group
We weren't there to take over the final leg of their journey, and we weren't there to be their cheerleaders.
We were there to give them hope and the energy and courage to continue on...

We were shown what parts of the hill the kids would need us most.
We were instructed not to go down the hill to meet them, but to wait until they got to the appointed location.  This part of their journey was called Testimony Hill and it was meant to humble them.

This would allow the kids to struggle and push, to work to their absolute limits.
And this would allow them to truly appreciate the help we were there to offer.
And at the end, they would come away KNOWING they could do anything, no matter how difficult it seemed.

As soon as our guide started giving us instructions, my heart swelled to a level I have never felt in my life.
This man knew what the kids had been every minute of every day.
He was completely aware of how they were feeling!

And how they would be feeling when they saw the steep part of the hill.

He knew that they would finish the first big climb, and feel a little overwhelmed when they saw that around the bend was not the end of their push, but ANOTHER HUGE climb.

And he knew when they would need us most.

I could not help but to make the analogy to a loving Heavenly Father who knows ABSOLUTELY everything about us!
Who we are
What makes us worry,
and How we are feeling at any part of our own personal journey.
And I could imagine the many times that angels gathered,
got their instructions,
and waited at just the right spot,
just out of my view,
to help me on my toughest climb.
To give just enough support to get me through-
but not so much that I didn't gain the testimony that I could do it.

Once or twice, I couldn't help it, but I whispered a warning to lean more to the left.
Some of the kids heard and heeded,
and made a sharp turn with ease.
Some of the kids didn't- and struggled on that bend.
Some kids couldn't help but to turn their heads and say "Thank You" as we left their side ready for the next group.
And some kids finished their journey-
and ran with urgency to help the other kids who had not yet made it up.
And a very rare few-
did NOT stop running down that hill until EVERY person was up the hill and resting at their journey's end.
I was inspired by every part of this experience.
And I am so grateful that I spent a hot California day, dressed in white, on a tough mountain path.

I love teenagers.
I love my Heavenly Father.
And I love when the two join forces,
to teach me a very valuable lesson.

I will NEVER DOUBT that there is a plan,
and that our troubles and worries and struggles do NOT go unnoticed by Heavenly Hosts-
who are placed and briefed on what we need,
and at the right time, in the right place
are allowed a brief moment to touch our lives.

Nope, I will NEVER DOUBT it!

No comments:

Post a Comment