We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 23: Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

I interrupt this regularly scheduled 31 days,
to bring a very special distraction to the day!

Actually, it kind of goes with the whole
Creating Home theme that I have been focusing
on this month,
you see,
this weekend and last, our family has been
busy cooking in the kitchen,
making all manner of goodness


for going away parties and birthday parties
for my kids.
Last week it was the 18 year old's party-
both birthday and going away.
Today it is a party in honor of my 10, 12 and 15 year olds!



So to prepare for the events
and as an excuse to try so many new recipes,
my daughters and I went on a quest
to perfect some of our favorite treat recipes
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies PERFECTED!!!
and to create some new favorites!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
I think we succeeded,
we had Mint Patty Cupcakes,

Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies,

Double Chocolate-y Oreo Crunch Cookies,
and so much more.

But I think MY Favorite were the
Salted Caramel Cupcakes
(Pause for Applause here)

Oh my gosh so good,
Can I say it AGAIN--
SO GOOD!!
People kept coming back for more and more,
I finally hid them!!
I needed some for me-
I'm kinda greedy like that.
Oh they were so GOOD-
Don't let another day go by, without adding these to
your beautiful day!

Cupcakes
the ensemble includes
1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temp.
2 large eggs, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla paste (you can use extract, but...)
1/2 c. whole milk
sea salt (my favorite is Maldon flakes, but I know tons of people love Fleur de Sel)


the stage:
A preheated oven set at 350 degrees 
and a cupcake pan with standard liners


the production:
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, beat the sugars and butter. Beat this good,
too many people don't let this get light and fluffy-
don't be afraid,
the butter will not rebel, let it fluff!
Add eggs and vanilla paste until combined.

Alternately add milk and flour, starting & ending with flour.
Beat on low speed until just combined and take a quick lick!
Fill the cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes.
Toothpick test does apply.

Frosting: the ensemble
1 stick of butter
8 oz. cream cheese
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. heavy cream
Pinch of sea salt

Prepare yourself, we gonna make CARAMEL!!
In heavy bottomed saucepan, cook the granulated sugar
over medium high heat until it begins to melt.
Let that sugar turn a nice amber brown, don't burn
it, but let it smoke a bit- burn barely (is that possible?)
Carefully pour the cream in to the sugar, in a steady stream.
The whole thing will bubble and sputter, have no fear.
Just keep stirring until completely smooth.
Set aside to cool.
Cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the
powdered sugar a little at time so you get the consistency
YOU WANT~
When you have the consistency you want,
add the sea salt and a spoonful of cooled caramel.
Gently swirl, but don't stir it in.
Frost in your favorite way-
I know!!
Don't forget to take a quick lick!
Top frosted cupcakes with a slight sprinkle of sea salt.
For one batch of cupcakes we topped the frosting with
a beautiful swirl of remaining caramel
(okay, so we tripled the caramel for tasting purposes)
and than added the salt!!
AGAIN can I say
SO SO GOOD!!




No comments:

Post a Comment