We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Monday, July 4, 2011

My Perfect Patriotic Story

I Talk to Strangers!
It is one of those things that makes my kids laugh or cry
depending on where we are and what I say :0

Two days ago, outside the dressing room at a local department store, I met two great strangers-
who had an amazing reason for being at the store that night.
They shared their story with me and I can't help but share it with you.

It started when we compared notes to why we were shopping that night. Aaron's suit getting too tight seemed really trivial compared to her reason for shopping for suits that night.

"My husband needs three different outfits for an event we are attending in July," she told me.
"Where is the event," I queried?
"At the White House with the President," she told me!
"Oh my gosh, WHY are you invited to the White House?"
"We will be attending the Congressional Medal of Honor ceremony." she said, and by this time she is beaming, I might add.

Well Aaron, you are just going to have to wait for my opinion on that suit you are trying on, I have a story to hear (I thought this loudly enough that Aaron got my ESP)

She proceeded to tell me about Leroy Petry, her son in law.
 He is being awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions during combat in May of 2008 when he was on a mission to capture "a very important, top secret enemy". She and her husband recounted the story to me with all the pride that can come only from a parent or relative of a hero. I got to hear first hand details about his story that touched my heart at this patriotic time of the year so much more than the red, white and blue cupcakes that I had planned to celebrate with could have ever done

To learn more about Leroy A. Petry
For me personally, this chance encounter was an amazing blessing.
I would not have known about Leroy A. Petry had I not met them.
I would not have googled his name, read the headlines or watched any video clips...
And I would not have had such intense feelings going into this Independence Day without his story.

I have family members who served in the military many years ago.
I know that my heart swells when taps plays and tears flow freely down my face when I am present for a 21 gun salute. But my up close and personal experience with enrolled military men and women is limited.
Mr. Stranger described the courage and determination that led his son-in-law to strive to be among the elite of the elite.
Mrs. Stranger explained that though Leroy was in shock from his leg wounds, Sgt. Petry continued in battle until the very end. Then she explained that when it came time to re-enlist, he did so with no reservations, despite his injury. He now serves as a liaison for wounded soldiers coming home to his base.

I felt a little weak knowing that there are days I struggle just to get through aches and pains in my joints or battles with my kids or ... well you get the idea.

I have a whole new appreciation for our armed service members who are serving right now, today, while we are enjoying the freedoms that they so courageously defend. I wonder why we don't hear more stories of their courage, their sacrifices and their heroism? Maybe as citizens of the most free and blessed country, we aren't in the habit of uniting in the effort of freedom like the citizens that founded this great land.
Maybe we've separated ourselves as either "the free" or "the brave" and we don't necessarily cross the lines to be both.
It has left me wondering, maybe in order to follow their hearts and defend our freedom, "the brave"choose to sacrifice a lot of their personal freedoms,
but in turn,
I wonder if "the free", in the daily enjoyment of so many rights and privileges, have given up a little bit of their fight to be brave.
To defend what is right,
to be more than complacent when it comes to rights, liberties and the pursuits of happiness.

I think about the story of Leroy Petry, and what freedoms he gave up to defend what I take for granted.
I think about his wife and four children and how many holidays, class parties and family gatherings they've celebrated without him.
And how many nights they have prayed to their God,
the same prayer that is uttered for every soldier no matter where they might be stationed,
that their daddy, husband, son, son-in-law (wife, mother, daughter, daughter-in-law)
will return home safely, healthy and soon!

And I tried to remember when the last time was that I had to stand up to defend my rights, my privileges and my freedoms.
And I've never wondered, really wondered if our daddy would return home safely, healthy and soon!

I loved this quote by Robbie Cooper at Urban Grounds.com, "It isn’t that the American Soldier isn’t afraid. It isn’t that he doesn’t value his life or that he is brainwashed. It’s that he understands the reality of the world. There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not US Soldiers. And especially not US Army Rangers. The difference between our military and everyone else is that they run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference."

Today, as I plan to celebrate Independence Day, my heart is full of gratitude for "the Brave" men and women who are wearing khaki green and tan instead of red, white and blue. Who are serving today, as I enjoy my bike parade, BBQ and fireworks. And I am grateful for a young man, who went above and beyond the call of duty, to make sure that someone else's daddy will return home to his family. I know for every Leroy Petry that finds himself in the news, there are many, many  more who would do the same thing in a heart beat.

I think I want to be that kind of person.
I want to raise my level of Brave!
And I KNOW I have a new hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment