We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Grab an umbrella and bring on the rain

I love my YOGA! I definitely have two favorite yoga instructors, Billy and Ashley. Get to know their names, you will hear them a lot. I love them for the workouts that they put me through. And I love them for the thoughts and mantras they bring to my day.

The other day, Ashley put us through a rather strenuous set of poses. I thought it was strenuous, mostly because it was a lot of arm balance poses. After all these years, I am just not good at holding all of my weight on the pinky of my left hand-- OK! it is not that extreme, but it often feels like it to me.

Anywhoooo, after this particular set of poses-Asana's, she led us through some sun salutations with long pauses in down dog! For the non-yoga lover, basically she challenged us to the extreme and and than had  us focus on rest and breathing. This is always when she starts my favorite part, and she replaces her yoga coaxing with a little daily message.

She talked about rain. Sometimes the rain is brief and gentle. It is a nourishing rain. People have been known to play in these rains, and very little disruption to the normal events of life occur when a gentle rain comes through. Grab an umbrella, and life goes on!

My mind drifted off to Minnesota, where the greens always got greener and the flowers always got brighter after a rain. I was always amazed at how no amount of watering or fertilizing could do what one spring rain could do for the landscape.

She went on to say, but sometimes the rain pounds and is hard and even brutal. Rain and water have an enormous amount of energy and power. Rain can re-shape, destroy and relocate anything it hits when it pounds hard enough. This time I thought of a rainstorm we got stuck in one time in Ohio. It was literally buckets of water being dumped from the sky. Cars pulled off the freeway, because there was absolutely no visibility and no way to continue driving.

Than the image that came to my mind was the Grand Canyon. Talk about the power of rains and flooding.

Just like the rains of nature, the rains of life have the same impact. We might have a challenge or a trouble in life that comes along for a brief time. It is gentle enough that it requires one tiny little tweak, an umbrella, and you are back on your way of daily life. But at the end, you feel nourished and a little better for that rain.
But sometimes, the rain is hard and brutal and lasts for a long time. It might even come on so strong that it turns into full on flooding- you know what I'm talking about right!! One umbrella isn't going to change the way your life is affected. But the changes and the creation of that rain can be amazing. Nothing else could have brought the beauty to the Grand Canyon like the rains and waters did. And really, there is not a lot that can compare to what was created in that little corner of Arizona.

This thought has resonated with me since Ashley said it. I think of the things that I have learned because of rainy days, or weeks or months or -- well you get the idea. The application of what I learn during rainy times has literally changed the way I look at life and my priorities and values.

 I'm not saying I don't like the sunny days. Oh no, don't get me wrong!! Take me to the beach or the pool on a bright, warm, sunny day and I am in heaven. Get me a swim suit, a bag full of beach gear and my family-  I'll be happy all day!


These are good days to me- I live for summer break and vacations (that's a thought for another post). In life, sunny days bring an opportunity to see and enjoy your blessings (also another post). How many natural creations are the direct result of a sunny day. Yup, I love the sun, but it is the rainy days that push & shape me and have the ability to mold and transform me into something beautiful...
into something AWE inspiring!

LOUD & PROUD,
Ima gonna say- I love the rain. I like the umbrella days and the nourishing aspect of easy rains. And I love the creations of the long and hard rains. They have made me who I am today.

(not me), but my beautiful daughter

Now go and enjoy your sunny day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment