We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Roasted Rainbow

Honestly, if possible,
I would love to live on a working farm-
where I could grow everything I eat.
I am pretty sure, if I lived on a farm,
I would eat this meal All the time!!
In all honesty,
there is a flaw to this dream-
actually several flaws-
that make me quite certain,
I will never live on a farm!!

First and foremost,
I don't like to touch dirt,
so I would need someone else to
grow the food I eat
and Second,
I kill EVERYTHING I try to grow anyway.
Bad combination-

But I love these Roasted Vegetables,
they are yummy,
flavorful,
the beets before they get mixed with the veggies
and sooooooooo easy.
I have seen versions of this recipe traced to
Ina Garten, our great Barefoot Contessa,
my dear friend at The Organic Kitchen
and many others,
here is my simplified version.

Roasted Rainbow

This is too easy to even call a recipe!
Take your favorite root veggies-
carrots, potatoes, beets, shallots,
add some more of your favs,
butternut squash, brussel sprouts, zucchini,
and mix them all together in a
9x13 baking dish.
Drizzle with olive oil,
sprinkle with your favorite herb-
basil, rosemary or parsley
and some sea salt.

Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.
I like my veggies a little more on the
al dente side, so you decide what works for you.
When I am using beets,
I like to boil the beets first to soften them up
a bit before mixing them with the other veggies-
otherwise, I find they just don't get cooked
as much as I want them.


We honestly eat this as a meal during the early
fall months, no meat, no bread-
just yummy tubers
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. This is how I roast my tomatoes, yellow squash and zucchini, with a little pesto (and olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper - and onions if I remember, for some reason I always forget the onions). Bake at about 400 and stir every 15 minutes or so. Once they are all nice and browned, you smash them up a little, serve over pasta or freeze and use to make the best tasting soup ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try that this week. Sounds so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete