We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Citrus Scones

When my doctor first suggested that I eliminate all
processed foods as well as all flour & sugar products
I honestly thought
"What the heck is left??????"

After a little research and a lot of searching,
I discovered that "FLOUR" does not just
come from WHEAT!!
At first I seriously had an adverse reaction to
SPELT, RICE, QUINOA, POTATO
and all the other "FLOUR's" available.
I didn't have a lot of interest in them-
and than one day,
I was really missing muffins-
yes of all the things I had to eliminate
I missed MUFFINS!!

So I began a search and I found several different
muffin, scone, biscuit type recipes
all using these amazing flours-
so I tried one recipe,
and than another
and than another!
I will tell you-
NOT all wheat free recipes are created equal,
but this one is a winner.
We all liked it,
all ate them and in the end,
this is one recipe that has been added the
MY SISTER'S COOKBOOK-
which is the mother of all cookbooks!
(at least at this house)
Share this with someone you love
who can't eat flour-
(or someone you know who can)
they will love you forever :)

 Citrus Scones
                  
2/3 skim milk                                                         1/3 c. sucanat                                                                                
juice of ½ each lime, lemon, orange                  zest from 3 citrus’
1 ½ c. spelt flour                                                    2 egg whites
1 c. brown rice flour                                              ¼ c. olive oil
1 tsp. baking powder                                           1 tsp. Vanilla extract
½ tsp. Baking soda                                              Olive oil cooking spray
Combine milk & citrus juices. Set aside for 5 minutes. In separate bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, sucanat and zests.  Add egg whites, oil and vanilla to milk mixture. Blend well.   Combine dry and wet ingredients until moist. Do not over mix.
Mist baking sheets with cooking spray. Shape into scones on baking sheets and mark with wedge cuttings or drop onto pans like drop biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment