We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 2: Creating Home (& Defining Home)

I feel like humming a few bars of The Brady Bunch theme song:
Here's a Story
of a Lovely Lady,
who was bringing up three very lovely girls,
and this lady,
had a handsome husband
and they also had a very handsome son,
but their family,
that they thought was complete
got bigger by adding two.
Another girl,
followed by a boy
and than their home was bursting at every seam.

Well I think somewhere along that process, I lost the tune,
but it sounded cute in my mind ;)


Anyway- the point is,
A few years ago, my husband and I were living
quite content in a cute farm style home
that we had custom designed and built.
Oh we loved that house,
but two little surprises later,


we found ourselves feeling crowded.
So....
We went land hunting,
& Builder shopping
& Architect planning
& we came up with this...

It took us NINE months to design & plan
and another SEVEN months to complete,
but we had a beautiful, wonderful, fully loaded
DREAM HOME on 4 acres with 2 ponds
and tons of Midwestern Trees-
all perfectly designed for my BIG family of 8!

I was imagining graduation parties,
Wedding Receptions, Grandbabies
and Family Reunions-
this was my never to leave,
absolutely WONDERFUL,
Just what I have been hoping for
and dreaming of my whole life
HOME!!

AND THAN...
the pipes burst
and it FLOODED
and it did it again,
and again,
and again---------
and 2 months after moving into our dream home,
we covered everything in plastic
and locked it all up,

and moved out!

My number one goal, when we moved out
was to make this chaos
as peaceful and pain free as possible.
I had a friend who warned me
that this was the type of family trauma
that divorces were made of
and sedatives were prescribed for!
So with nothing but family unity on my mind
we set out for temporary accommodations.

After ten weeks, 6 hotels and 21 hotel rooms,
and with a major lawsuit pending,
my husband and I had a lot of time to realize
that HOME is right where you are,
Annual Bike Parade, 1st Minnesota Home
 as long as you are surrounded by the people
you LOVE
Bunker Beach, MN- Favorite Watery Home for 6 summers
and they are thriving,
A happy Home Dweller

and they are close to you,
Games at Father's Day BBQ
and they know that in your arms
Who cares, as long as Dad's got a close grip
there is safety and security

With this new found understanding of what makes a HOME,
we moved back home.

It was short lived as my husband took
an out of state job. So 18 months later,
we moved from this perfect dream home,
large, spacious and BEAUTIFUL

to something not quite so much!

And just for drama (and reality)
in between the two,
we had another 12 week stay in hotels.
Yes, we understand what it takes to make
Home out of a Hotel Room!
trying to keep with tradition, despite HOTEL living...

... we decorated Easter bags and had a strange Easter Egg Hunt,


Can I say when we moved in to our Cali home,
we had a bit of an adjustment period,
and a ton of tears,
and a lot of "what were we thinking".

Though the house was not nearly what we had left behind,
the neighborhood made up for it in spades.

Here for a week and we feel like we've been friends a lifetime
And we began to realize that a HOME
extends far beyond the sticks and bricks
used to construct a house.
It is the laughter on a very crowded trampoline,

it is a DOORBELL that rings every day at the
exact same time each day-
friends ready to walk to school together.
First Day of School at our New School
 It is the first tolerably warm day after
a really long hot spell,
when everyone can't wait to MEET UP outside,
These Roads Ain't meant for Drivin'
and it is definitely the Neighbors
gathering outside for a
NEIGHBORHOOD PARTY

 And than, 
my husband dropped another bomb,
"What do you think of Texas?" says he
"Sure" says I
So here I am,
2 years after moving into this house,
in a down market,
selling another home
most likely at a loss,
with a SMILE on my face
(I think I am a glutton for some kind of self destruction)
But I am excited,
because I get to define HOME again,
and it seems like every time I start over
in a new HOME,
in a new place,
I learn something else about HOME! 
But please,
just for good measure,
wish US luck :)



No comments:

Post a Comment