We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day Nine: Creating Home (Basic Principles)

My husband is leaving on Thursday for a new job in a new state.
We have hit a few obstacles, so our kiddos and I are staying behind
while we get some kinks ironed out in our plans.

Since this was our last weekend together for a while,
we decided to leave town and fill our hearts with the
happy things and places we have loved over the last
three years in California.

One stop we made last night was at a Visitor's Center for our church.
We played on some interactive activities watched some
videos and spoke with several of the other visitors there.
This visitor's center was recently remodeled and we were
completely impressed by how much fun we all had.
While there, I was reminded of some of the fundamental beliefs that
really have defined what HOME means to me.
I thought I would share those tonight:

1. My family really is at the very core of what makes my house,
my HOME. No matter what you consider family; children, spouse,
grandchildren, friends or neighbors-
a HOME is more of a HOME when filled with people you love.

2. Filling our lives with LOVE and SERVICE allow us enjoy life
to it's fullest each and every day and I believe this Love and Service
extends the boundaries of our homes far beyond
the four walls we hang our coats, hats and beach towels.
We have a darling little book called How Full Is Your Bucket,
that reminds us always that kindness goes
a long way to building happy homes.

3. Some simple principles such as faith & prayer, asking for & giving
forgiveness, respect & love and working & playing together can act
as the building blocks that truly can stabilize families through good
times and bad.
I am a firm believer in each one of these principles. I really do believe
that the family that prays together stays together! I think being humble
enough to say you're sorry and even more humble to ACCEPT a
meaningful apology are the cornerstones of trust at home. Our
family gathers together for family councils whenever we feel a big
decision needs to be made or even when someone feels like
they have an issue that is too big to be solved alone. These councils
have been instrumental in the respect in our home.
And finally, working and playing together is my biggest motto of
all! Our Sunday rule is that anyone who wants to eat dinner, is in
the kitchen making dinner. I love that this one day a week we
all work together in the kitchen prepping and than cleaning up.
No one sits down to rest, and until WE ALL sit down to rest
together.

These little reminders from yesterday helped me keep my focus
as I am struggling to decide HOW I am going to make the next
few months of upheaval, chaos and temporary living arrangements
feel like HOME to my family. I want the transition to be as smooth
as possible but we may be celebrating 3 birthdays, Halloween,
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years all in temporary housing
Also, my Senior has to get all her college apps done during this time too-
OH MY GOSH-- CRAZY!!
Hopefully, we are all together!!
I love my holiday decorations, and we won't have any with us!
I'm a tradition kind of gal, and may feel a little sad and
lonely myself being in a new state, a new church
and all new schools during the holiday season.
BUT if I remember that what really matters is what I listed above,
than the decorations won't be missed, the traditions can be
kept, we will make friends and the holiday season will come and
go with my family all around me- healthy, happy and closer than ever-
that's a pretty good way to start building our new HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment