We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Friday, October 7, 2011

Day Six: Creating Home (Share What You Love)

I've written about my health issues and my long journey
to eliminating some of my favorite foods several times,
but I don't think I have shared this perspective.

If you'd like a little background read here and if you
are really a glutton for too much information,
find my complete health journey here!

I share this idea tonight, because several months ago,
I realized one of the reasons that giving up sweets was
so difficult for me.
Yes, I am a sugar addict!
And Yes, I really love all the flavors, varieties
and amazing goodness that comes from mixing
fats, sugars and enriched flour together-

But I also realized that preparing and serving meals
and treats to my family had become not just a
job requirement for my Stay at Home life,
but it had actually become my profession-
and it was a profession that I truly enjoyed and
took great satisfaction in.
I love to be in the kitchen and I love even
more sharing my culinary delights with my kids,
their friends, my friends, neighbors, church buddies...
Cooking brought me JOY
and all of a sudden, the foods I could still cook,
just didn't seem all that SHARABLE :(

Rather than wallow in misery, I decided to reinvent my
kitchen and my idea about what foods I would share with
neighbors and at pot lucks.
This has been a lot of fun!
As we have started to experiment with foods,
my teenage daughters have become awesome at making
Vegan Cupcakes-
taking extra to lunch on their High School campus-
As I found myself continually searching for yummy,
seasonal treats for my family,
I decided to try my hand at teaching cooking classes to kids-


 which I have loved more than anything I have done in
a very long time.

We still share food with the neighbors, but we are just as
likely to bring a salad to a neighbor

than a plate of cookies,

and when we do make a treat,
we are quick to count out only one per person,
and decide who we would like to share the excess with!

Our perspective has changed on the treats and food that
we make in our home,
but what started out as my loss of the foods that I loved
has turned into a new outlook on sharing, teaching and
giving of our talents, knowledge and passions-


Love and Passion are two things that no matter how
much you give away, they keep replenishing and
multiplying. The more you give of what you love,
the more you FEEL what you love!

It's win-win if you ask me

No comments:

Post a Comment