We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bread I can Eat- Marla's Wheat Bread

A little background,
just so you know the significance of this recipe.
As part of a two year journey to health,
I discovered that breads & sugars make me sick!
Sick enough that I usually notice significant
side effects if I am not completely careful.
But I am NOT gluten intolerant- WEIRD!!

Anyway, I have always LOVED making
homemade bread. My family begins to drool
the moment the water hits the yeast!
They don't stop the drool until they are
cleared to make the first cut into the steaming hot loaves.

Well, I started to notice that whenever I grind my own whole wheat into flour
I don't get sick.
My joints don't hurt,
My mouth doesn't get sores,
I don't break out into a rash,
and I have ample energy for a full day of MOMhood!

You might not get sick when you eat bread,
you might not suffer for your bread choices,
BUT you don't know what you are missing with this
awesome bread recipe.

It's an old family secret,
from a family with a mom named Marla,
I don't know Marla,
but I know someone who knew Marla :)
Anyway, ENJOY

Marla's Whole Wheat Bread

7 c. water
3/4 c. oil
1 1/4 c. honey
12-15 c. wheat flour
3 c. white flour
3 TBSP yeast

Put water in container and microwave until hot to the touch. Put oil in Bosch bowl and then honey.
Add salt. 
Put 4 c. wheat flour in bowl, add yeast, mix. Add hot water to Bosch bowl and then the flour/ yeast mixture. Turn on 1 to incorporate.  
Add 7-8 c. wheat flour until dough starts to pull away from the side of of the bowl. Add 3 c. white flour. Add more wheat flour until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl & dough is sticky.  
Keep Bosch on 1 for 10 minutes. Turn off and let sit in bowl for 3-5 minutes. 
The secret to light & fluffy bread is leaving it a bit on the sticky side.
 Grease a rolling mat or your counter and turn dough onto counter.  
My dough was a little sticky still, so I used flour to coat my surface rather than oil
Knead a few times and then divide evenly into pans.  
This recipe will make about 5-6 loaves of bread.
Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. 
Rub butter over the top of bread.  
The sides of the bread should be a nice golden brown color when you turn them out of the pans after baking. If not, the bread is not yet done.
P.S. You do NOT need a Bosch to make this bread. If you make bread a lot, you should consider a Bosch. I could not live without mine.
P.P.S. You can play with the ratio between whole wheat flour and white flour. I make 100% wheat bread now, but for my wheat adverse friends, I do 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour. This is your bread recipe now- own it and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment