We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Not What You Do, It's How You Do It

I was asked to speak in my church last Sunday.
My topic was "Living a Consecrated Life",
I will be perfectly honest when I say
that I felt IN OVER MY HEAD!
Mother Teresa

I feel like of all people in this world,
I am the least qualified to talk about that.

But it turned out being the best thing
that I could have been asked to do.
I learned so much,
and I honestly feel like a big cloud
has been lifted from my eyes
and I see so much more kindness and
goodness than I saw before-
I know, I know- a little cheesy-
but HEY that's how I feel.

I went to my kids' elementary school
on Friday for an awards assembly.
The PTA was honoring two people with
lifetime PTA awards.
The first that they honored was a
kindergarten teacher, who had been
teaching for 20+ years.
Everyone politely clapped when her name
was called.

And than a second award was being announced.
When the name was called,
"We'd like to recognize Ms. Jackie"
I am not kidding,
the entire room went wild with clapping,
cheering and "Hooray-ing"

We are new to the school, so I didn't know either
of the award recipients,
but I can tell when a room full of people
agrees wholeheartedly with an award!

Here is what they had to say about Ms. Jackie
"Ms. Jackie talks to all the students about what is
going on in their lives and makes them feel valued.
She heaps praise and love on each and every student.
Ms. Jackie is a hard, honest worker who is always
busy yet takes time to talk to all the kids. She is an
awesome role model for our students. The kids
relate easily to her and she treats all of them as
her own. Many children come to Ms. Jackie just
to give her a hug when they see her at school."

I was in tears,
not because Ms. Jackie received the award,
like I said, I don't know her.

But I was so touched at the reaction,
the support and the absolute,
unmistakable love that this entire
school had for this one lady.

I was even more touched as she came to accept
the award, to see that she wasn't a teacher.
She wasn't the principal, a counselor or
an office aide.
Ms. Jackie is the school custodian!

I wonder if she had any idea that EACH and EVERY
day, she is touching the population at this
elementary school?
I wonder if she ever questioned her success
in this life as measured by the standards that
"the world" values?

And I wondered why am I so hard on myself?
Why do I frequently telling myself that I
don't do enough,
or I don't have anything of value to offer?

We all have a place to serve,
to touch,
to encourage and to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment