We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Simple Touch: In Honor of My Grandma

It's just a shake,
a simple, ordinary ice cream milkshake.

Totally not special at all,
except it is served in a pretty cup.
 
One that isn't used every day,
and my kids love it,
not just the shake,
but having the shake served in the cup.

This obsession started with my Grandma,
I'm sure it actually started with her Grandma,
and I hope it will be passed down
to my Grandchildren one day.

It is the simple act of providing something so daily,
like an after school snack,
in something not so daily,
like a fancy, special cup.
It just makes you feel special.
No matter what we were going to eat,
what time of day it was, or how busy my Grandma was,
we got served at the table,
with a placemat,
with a nice dish.
And I always felt like a guest,
like an honorary visitor.
The fancy dishes that most people saved
for special occasions were pulled out for a simple
parfait of ice cream, jam and chocolate syrup:
even simple ice cream,
became a parfait!

I'm sure it is my grandma's doing that I am
absolutely obsessed with dishes.
I want everyone,
and anyone
who walks into my house,
especially my kitchen to feel like a special guest.
Like the best and the finest are being pulled
out especially for them-
my visiting DIGNITARIES!

Happy Birthday Grandma,
thanks for who you've taught me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment