We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash

I am going to send up a great big
RED FLAG warning-

I did not like Butternut Squash
up until maybe two years ago!

I confess this to you just in case,
you are a little cautious of this recipe
because you don't THINK you like
butternut squash.

I am here to say, you might be WRONG!!

Before tasting this, you couldn't have
paid me enough to eat it.
Mind you, I had NEVER even TRIED it,
but I was 100% convinced, there was
no way I would ever like it!

Than I went to a cooking class,
and gave in to peer pressure-
and I did partake,
and I did LIKE!

We eat this ALL the time,
like ALL- THE- TIME!!

We eat it as a side
like we did a few weeks ago
or I make it for an after school snack.

Go out and buy yourself one of these cute
little, funny shaped wonders today-
 
this is so easy, it seems silly to even do a
recipe, but here it is:

Roasted Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash, cut into bite sized chunks
Olive Oil- enough to coat said squash
Red Pepper Flakes, Sea Salt & Black Pepper
** or you can use ground chipotle chile seasoning,
mexican chilli seasoning or anything that you like that
has a bit of a kick to it!
Roast in the oven at 375 for 8-15 minutes.
I know that seems like a big difference, but it really
is going to depend if you want it 'al dente' or quite
soft.
I am an al dente lover, my family wants things a little
more done-

** I just bought a WONDERFUL
Garlic Infused Olive Oil that adds a
great flavor to butternut squash as well.

4 comments:

  1. So, please tell me your helpful hints for both peeling and cutting up a butternut squash, without impaling yourself on the gigantic knife that you have to use to cut up a squash. I love butternut squash, but so far I'm not convinced that it's worth the effort to do it myself too often. I would LOVE any advice you can give me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite and easiest way to peel it is to make my husband do it ;)
    but otherwise, I cut it in half right above the crook. This way I don't really have to get around that sharp curve! I do use a really big, sharp knife, and just carve from top to bottom on each half.
    I cut it the same way, standing it up and cutting from top to bottom. Than dicing those chunks up.
    I use Wusthof knives, don't know if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throw it into he microwave or about three minutes, it softens it up just enough to make cutting it in half much easier! At least it works with acorn squash, so I would assume it will work with butternut!!

    ReplyDelete